When weight loss is hard to achieve, bariatric surgery may be the right kind of solution. Any bariatric procedure is a minimally invasive surgery that can help patients with comorbidities to alter their stomach for weight loss. Although the procedure sounds complex, expert surgeons with the right amount of proficiency and skills can give you a promising result.
Dr. Cody Starnes, MD, FACS, FASMBS, is a popular bariatric surgeon and the founder of Starnes Surgical Associates.
About Dr. Cody Starnes
Dr. Cody Starnes is a popular and board-certified general surgeon. He also holds a fellowship in advanced bariatric surgery and minimally invasive surgery. Born and brought up in Callisburg, Texas, he is a graduate of the esteemed UT Southwestern Medical School. He completed surgical training from the UT Houston Texas Medical Center.
Dr. Starnes is also trained from the Texas Trauma Institute, one of the busiest trauma centers worldwide ranking number 1 and MD of the Anderson Cancer Center. In addition, Dr. Starnes also earned the highest scores in both laparoscopic as well as robotic techniques during his residency. He is also accredited by the ASMBS for his bariatric surgery practice.
Dr. Starnes serves the entire Grayson and adjacent counties. He was the Chief of Surgery and Trauma Medical Director at the Wilson N. Jones Regional Medical Center.
Currently, he provides medical services at the Texoma Medical Center, Wilson N. Jones Regional Medical Center, Carrus Specialty & Rehabilitation Hospital, and Baylor Scott & White Surgical Hospital at Sherman.
Dr. Starnes completed his undergraduate education at the University of North Texas. He went to UT Southwest Medical School and did his residency in general surgery from UT Houston. He acquired his fellowship in Bariatric, Advanced Minimally Invasive, and Robotic Surgery from UT Houston.
He is a member of prestigious associations like the American College of Surgeons, The Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, and The American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
Dr. Starnes is also accredited by the ASMBS to practice bariatric surgery.
While there are several non-surgical methods to lose weight, patients resort to bariatric surgery because it is safer and more effective. Dr. Starnes is a fellowship-trained general and bariatric surgery who performs bariatric surgery with proficiency.
The bariatric surgery options available at the practice include:
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: This surgery involves the removal of at least 70 to 80 percent of the stomach to create a pouch shaped like a banana. The new stomach is much smaller and less elastic. It can only hold up to 5 ounces of food. With this surgery, patients can lose approximately 70 percent of their body weight within a year. Patients with heartburn or gastritis, however, might experience adverse complications. The surgeon shall discuss all the options, complications, risk factors, and medical benefits.
- Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass: In gastric bypass surgery, a small pouch is created inside the stomach to make you feel fuller very quickly. Besides, the small intestine is bypassed by 5 feet. As a result, it causes malabsorption. After this surgery, it is important to follow the doctor’s advice and take all the recommended multivitamins. The bariatric surgeon shall discuss all the important factors before proceeding with the preparation for the surgery.
- Duodenal Switch: The surgery typically involves sleeve gastrectomy with a subsequent bypass of the large portion of the small intestine. Only 3 percent of the intestine would absorb nutrients. As a result, it can cause a chronic deficiency in vitamins. However, the method is extremely effective for quick weight loss.
- SIPS/SADI: This surgery was invented in 2005. However, the FDA still does not approve of it. The procedure involved a modified form of duodenal switch.
- Revisional Surgery: There may be many reasons to undergo revisional surgery. Whether it is non-compliance, genetics, or other complications, revisional surgery may be needed.
With several years of experience and the expertise to perform bariatric, laparoscopic as well as robotic surgery, Dr. Starnes Surgical facility is one of its kind. Patients can benefit from the state-of-the-art infrastructure and latest surgical equipment that assure the proficiency of the surgeon. Moreover, Dr. Starnes is also a phenomenal gastrointestinal surgeon, thyroid and parathyroid surgeon, and breast surgeon.
Pompeii Surgical offers price transparency to offer the price for the gastric sleeve at $2,456, and the gastric bypass at $3,229.20. If you want to learn more about their price click here. Upon reading further this look
2627 Masters St, Sherman, TX 75090, United States