When the traditional methods of weight loss have failed to deliver long-term success, weight loss surgery – popularly known as bariatric surgery – can be a good option. In this procedure, changes are made to the way your body absorbs nutrition & calories and/or the amount of food the stomach holds, leading to weight loss.
Henry Ford Health System is a reputable bariatric center in Michigan, providing the education, medical excellence, and emotional support you need to achieve a more active, healthier, and happier life. They consider bariatric surgery as a long-term weight loss program that combines a partnership of an efficient medical team and an eligible patient who wants to make lifelong positive health changes, including physical activity and a nutritious diet.
Here’s everything you need to know about this bariatric center.
High Standards of Quality You Can Trust
The Henry Ford Bariatric Surgery Center, a part of the Henry Ford Health System, is accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) – a division of the American College of Surgeons. By continuously delivering high standards of quality and staying compliant with nationally-accredited bariatric surgical standards, they have achieved good recognition in the industry.
Their certification not only indicates focus on continuous quality improvement but also promotes standard benchmarks that have set them apart. They have a team of highly qualified surgeons who have proficiency in performing thousands of bariatric procedures successfully. Their entire team of weight loss surgeons and healthcare professionals will support you throughout the weight-loss journey – from deciding whether to have surgery to providing education, preparing for the surgery and health after surgery.
Types of Bariatric Surgery Procedures Performed at Henry Ford
The Henry Ford Bariatric Surgery Center takes a proven and result-driven surgical approach, specializing in two types of bariatric procedures:
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass: In this procedure, a small pouch is created in the stomach to reduce the amount of food it can hold. Through this process, the small intestine is reconfigured in a way that helps bypass a portion of the food – limiting the number of calories the body absorbs. This allows losing a greater amount of weight than any other weight loss program.
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: In this procedure, a small sleeve or pouch is created to reduce the amount of food your stomach can hold. It does not involve the small intestine and the surgery is performed under general anesthesia. The procedure takes between 1-2 hours to complete and you are expected to stay at the hospital for up to two or three days.
The bariatric surgery team at Henry Ford Bariatric Surgery Center comprises highly experienced surgeons with vast expertise in this field. Some of the most prominent doctors are:
Arthur M Carlin: After completing his higher education, he completed residencies & internships from the Wayne State University in Surgery. He is the Director of Bariatric Research at Henry Ford Bariatric Surgery Center in Detroit, MI. He is also a member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity. Dr. Carlin has also received several awards that indicate his high levels of professionalism and expertise in this field.
Mustapha Daouadi: He is a board-certified general surgeon with specialized knowledge in bariatric surgery. He performs various types of advanced surgical procedures like gastric bypass, advanced endoscopy, gastric sleeve, biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch, and revisional bariatric surgery.
Jeffrey A Genaw: An MD in General and Bariatric Surgery, Dr. Genaw specializes in minimally invasive weight loss surgery – providing compassionate care and quality to every patient.
Bilal M Kharbutli: He is a specialized surgeon, with certification from the American Board of Surgery. He has specialized knowledge & training in bariatric surgery, with a fellowship from the Wayne State University in Surgery.
In addition to the surgeons, the bariatric center has a highly specialized team that aims to make the entire process a success. The team comprises:
- Intake coordinators who assist with insurance verification, scheduling, and queries
- Experienced bariatric surgery nurses
- Certified dietitians who create the right meal plan for surgery patients
- Dedicated inpatient unit
- Psychologists who have expert training to guide the patients
- The physical exercising team especially focused on patients with severe obesity
Denver Bariatrics offers price transparency to offer the price for the gastric sleeve at $2,456, and the gastric bypass at $3,229.20. If you want to learn more about their price click here. Upon reading further this look
The Henry Ford Health System has hospitals and health care units in Detroit, N East Ave Jackson, Ferndale, Clinton Township, West Bloomfield, and Wyandotte.